I can't believe that after 38 weeks of carrying this precious baby boy, he will be here in our arms in ten days or less! We are all so ready to hold and cuddle and kiss him! It's been two and a half years since we've had a newborn in the house, and while I fully expect to be exhausted out of my mind and in a state of complete chaos for several weeks, I'm looking forward to holding him, carrying him oh-so close to me in the wrap, and even the middle of the night feedings {since that will probably be our only one-on-one time!}
I'm feeling fairly well these days. Jude and Emily keep me very busy, so although I'm experiencing all of the end-of-pregnancy aches and pains {and have been for a while now} I don't have much time to dwell on them or even complain about them. I guess that is a blessing in disguise of having 3 children ages 4 and under!
Last Thursday's check-up was eventful, and our little guy nearly got to share a birthday with his daddy. When I went in for my weekly appointment, our baby's heart rate {which usually hangs out in the 140s-150s} started out around 120. Not too alarming on its own, but paired with the fact that I hadn't felt him move at all that morning or much the night before, my doctor hooked me up to the fetal monitor in her office just to make sure everything was okay. After about 10 minutes with not much change, they gave me a Coke to drink to try to wake him up; and then about 10-15 minutes after that little guy's heart rate started to plummet into the 80s and 90s. After turning me on my side his heart rate went right back up to 120, so thinking there may be an issue with the umbilical cord, my doctor had me call Matt and head straight to labor and delivery for more prolonged monitoring. She said if his heart rate plummeted again, then we would just go ahead and have the baby that day! {One thing I love about my doctor is that, while she maintains a very positive attitude about everything, she's also very quick to make decisions in difficult situations!} Upon arriving at the hospital and getting hooked up to the monitors, our strong little guy was right back in the 130s and 140s {and even rising into the 170s when he got really active}, and he was moving much more than before. Praise God!! Whatever happened at the doctor's office was resolved in the short walk to the hospital, and we were very thankful to go home that afternoon with a healthy baby still growing inside of me!
So now the wait is on... The plan is to induce on January 16th or 17th {next Wednesday or Thursday} if he hasn't arrived yet on his own in order for me to not have to go past my due date of the 19th {since he does appear to be a bit on the bigger side!} I've been having some strong Braxton-Hicks contractions, but nothing consistent yet; so as I said, the wait is on. Our bags are packed, his things are ready for him here at home, and his brother and sister cannot wait to meet him! {And his mommy and daddy are excited to share his precious name with the world!}
The swelling and general, constant uncomfortableness has definitely set in, so bear that in mind as you view these photos of the little guy and me {last week} at 37 weeks ~
Let's hope these are the last "belly shots" I take!